Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cat's Cradle

Oops this blog is a little late, but better late than never right? So to start this off I’d just like to say that I really enjoy Socratic Circle because I was extremely confused by the book before it. For this blog we are supposed to talk about how Cat’s Cradle can be considered a postmodern text and since I don’t really understand postmodernism I had to look up the definition which is “any of a number of trends or movements in the arts and literature developing in the 1970s in reaction to or rejection of the dogma, principles, or practices of established modernism.” So thanks dictionary.com for helping me understand what I am supposed to be writing about!
Ok here we go… I think that the religion of Bokonon is a postmodernist idea. The whole religion is based on lies and the followers are aware of this and are totally fine with it. The first verse in the Book of Bokonon is “all of the true things that I am to tell you are shameless lies.” The people do not question anything they just believe all of the lies because it makes them feel better. In the novel it even says “truth was the enemy of the people, because the truth was so terrible, so Bokonon made it his business to provide the people with better and better lies.” The main purpose of the religion is to make the people feel like their lives have meaning and purpose. It’s hard for me to understand how someone can devote their whole life to lies, but it’s just a book I suppose. Also, the title of the book is also a postmodernist idea. Cats cradle is an old game (that I used to play in elementary school) that is pretty much never-ending. During Socratic circle someone brought up that cats cradle is a symbol of progress and the absence of truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment